What is an Indian transit eVisa?
An Indian transit eVisa is a type of electronic visa that allows travelers to enter India for a short period of time, typically up to 3 days, while on their way to another country. Transit visas are required for travelers who will be staying in the transit area of an Indian airport for more than 24 hours, or who will need to leave the transit area to reach their connecting flight.
You can apply for an Indian transit eVisa online up to 120 days before your travel date. To apply, you will need to provide a valid passport, a recent passport-sized photo, and a valid email address. You will also need to pay a processing fee.
Once your eVisa is approved, you will receive a confirmation email. You must print out this email and bring it with you when you travel.
When you arrive at an Indian airport, you will need to present your eVisa to the immigration officer. The officer will then stamp your passport and allow you to enter the country.
Your Indian transit eVisa will be valid for 72 hours. This means that you must leave India within 72 hours of your arrival. If you need to stay in India for longer than 72 hours, you will need to apply for a regular Indian visa.
Who is eligible for an Indian transit eVisa?
Nationals of most countries are eligible to apply for an Indian transit eVisa, including citizens of the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and most European countries. However, there are a few exceptions, so it is important to check the India Visa Services website to see if you are eligible. Ensure that your transit itinerary includes a layover in one of the eligible airports in India.
Eligible Airports for Transit Visa
Confirm that your transit airport in India is one of the eligible airports for the Transit eVisa. Eligible airports may include major international airports like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, and Hyderabad.
How to apply for an Indian transit eVisa
- Visit the official India Visa Services website
- Create an account and fill out an online application form.
- Choose the "Transit" category when filling out the online application form.
- Fill out the online application form with accurate and up-to-date information. You will be asked to provide personal details, passport information, travel plans, and contact information.
- You will also need to upload a digital passport-sized photo and a copy of your passport bio page.
- Pay the applicable visa fee online using a credit or debit card. The fee amount may vary depending on your nationality.
- Review your application carefully to ensure all information is accurate.
- After verifying the details, submit your application.
Things to keep in Mind
- Most applications are processed within 72 hours, but it is important to apply at least 4 days before your travel date. Once your application has been approved, you will receive an email with your eVisa attached. You can print out your eVisa and take it with you when you travel to India.
- Upon submission, you will receive an Application ID or reference number. Keep this number for future reference.
- You can check the status of your Transit eVisa application on the official website using your Application ID.
- If your Transit eVisa application is approved, you will receive an approval letter via email. This letter contains essential information about your Transit eVisa, including its validity and entry conditions.
Requirements for Indian Transit eVisa
To apply for an Indian transit eVisa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a citizen of an eligible country.
- You must have a valid passport with at least 6 months of validity remaining.
- You must have a confirmed onward flight ticket to another country.
- You must be able to provide proof of sufficient funds to support your stay in India.
Tips for traveling to India on a transit eVisa
- Make sure you have all of the required documents before you travel, including your passport, eVisa, and onward flight ticket.
- Arrive at the airport early to allow plenty of time to go through the immigration process.
- Be polite and respectful to the immigration officers.
- Keep your eVisa with you at all times while you are in India.
- When you transit through India, carry a printout of your Transit eVisa approval letter, along with your passport and any other required documents. - Present these documents to the immigration authorities at the Indian airport during your transit.
- Complete your transit within the allowed duration specified in your Transit eVisa.
Entry and departure procedures with Indian transit eVisa
Upon arrival at an Indian airport, you will need to present your passport, eVisa, and onward flight ticket to the immigration officer. The immigration officer will then issue you with a transit stamp.
If you need to leave the transit area of the airport, you will need to present your passport, eVisa, and onward flight ticket to the immigration officer at the exit gate. The immigration officer will then stamp your passport and allow you to leave the airport.